On September 26, 1872, in the New York City Masonic Hall, the first Shrine Shrine Center in the United States was organized. Brother McClenachan and Dr. Fleming had completed the ritual and proposed that the first Shrine Center be named Mecca.
The original 13 Masons of the Knickerbocker Cottage lunch group were named Charter Members of Mecca Shrine Center (Mecca Shriners). Noble Florence read a letter outlining the “history” of the Order and giving advice on the conduct of meetings. The offices elected were Walter M Fleming, Potentate; Charles T. McClenachan, Chief Rabban; John A Moore, Assistant Rabban; Edward Eddy, High Priest and Prophet; George W. Millar, Oriental Guide; James S. Chappel, Treasurer; William S. Paterson, Recorder; and Oswald M. d’Aubigne, Captain of the Guard.
But the organization was not an instant success even though a second Shrine Center was chartered in Rochester in 1875. Four years after the Shrine’s beginning, there were only 42 Shriners, all but six of whom were from New York.
Clubs and Units:
- Transportation Unit
- Bermuda Shrine Club
- Phil-Am Shrine Club
- Orange County Shrine Club
- Syria Lebanon Shrine Group
- Japan Shrine Group
- Legion of Honor
- Mecca Shriners Motorcycle Club
- The Brotherhood of the White Ash of Mecca Shrine
- Mecca Sportsman Club