The Shrine of North America has been a part of the Washington Downtown area since 1886. Almas Shrine Center is located at 1315 “K” Street, NW between the White House and the new Washington Convention Center. The building was originally erected in 1929, further up the block closer to 13th Street.
The old location was sold and the new building was completed in its present location in 1990. The facade of the building was inspired by the famous Alhambra, a Moorish palace in Granada, Spain built between 1338-1390. Since the facade has been declared a historic landmark, it had to be taken down tile-by-tile, numbered, and reassembled in our present location. It is one of the last mosaic tile facades left in the city of Washington.
All though Almas Shriners is located in the Nation’s Capital our membership extends around the world. Due to the nature of our city, with people coming from all over the world to work here and natives of Washington, DC moving to other countries, we literally have members throughout the world. In 2006, Almas Shriners started a new Shrine Club in Uruguay. Since that time, the Club has grown and they have taken in new members from Brazil and Bolivia. We currently have 824 members.
Clubs and Units:
- Almas Yacht Club
- Southeast Shrine Club
- Northwest-Bethesda, Chevy Chase Shrine Club
- Peruvian Shrine Club
- Almas Mini-Motors
- Legion of Honor