Essay contest is part of Shriners International's 140th anniversary celebrations.
We know that every Shriner has a story to tell and with the 140th anniversary of Shriners International quickly approaching in 2012, this is the perfect time to reflect on our rich history. We cannot think of a better way to do so than by learning about the men who have made this organization so well-loved and respected. We would like you to share your story in the Shriners International Personal Essay Contest.
The essay should be a story from your life as it relates to being a Shriner. A personal essay gives readers an intimate glimpse of the author’s experience, observations, thoughts or feelings. The individual stories of our members make up the history of our organization, and by preserving them on paper you will help us tell the story of Shriners International.
Both Shriner and non-Shriner judges will read all submissions anonymously and vote for the top three essays. Winners will receive plaques, pins, and both individual and temple will be acknowledged at the 138th Imperial Session in Charlotte, NC, July 2012, in the presence of their fellow nobles. The top three essays will appear in a commemorative anniversary coffee table book that will also premiere at Session.
What are some of the qualities of a good personal essay?
Please download the entry form with contest rules and guidelines.
Rules and Guidelines
- Your essay must be typed and double-spaced.
- It must not exceed 1500 words.
- All essays must be non-fiction.
- You must be a Shriner in good standing.
- You must not include any personal names in your essay.
- Each applicant must only submit one essay. It must be the original work of the submitter.
- Each applicant must complete an application form.
- Please spell-check your essay and use proper grammar.
- A panel of person essay contest judges decides which entries win. Three entries will be chosen. All decisions will be final.
- By submitting an essay, you acknowledge that it has not been published before, and that it will become property of Shriners International. By submitting your essay, you give permission to Shriners International publish your essay and/or parts of your essay, regardless of whether your entry is chosen as a winner. You also agree and understand that you will receive no compensation, payment, or royalties from publication of your essay, and that you agree to promptly execute any release necessary to allow publication by Shriners international.
- Shriners International has the right to announce the winners of the contest by any manner in which it deems appropriate.
- Entries must be received no later than January 31, 2012.